Saturday, February 11, 2012

1and1 VPS for vBulletin - 1 - Plesk Setup

I recently decided to move from GoDaddy shared hosting to VPS.  Finding a VPS wasn't tough.  What was tough though was to find one that was cheap and gives a ton of features.  Now that took me a while and I zeroed on 1and1.com.  Their VPS Linux L server seemed to fit my bill.

Now started my ordeal.  Nor was I a Linux expert nor had I managed a VPS before.  Then came internet to my rescue.  I found a lot of helpful posts and I've started to move along.  In this blog I'll write down all that I encounter and the solutions I found that helped to overcome them.

Steps:

  1. Login to Parallels Power Panel.  Go to "Container Services"--"System Services" and start "mysqld" and "psa" services.  Also enable auto start.
  2.  Login to Parallels Plesk Control Panel.  I'm currently on Plesk version 10.1.1.  Plesk version 10.4.4 is available.  So I upgraded Plesk.  For this go to "Server Management"--"Tools & Utilities"--"Updates".  A new window opens and shows that Component upgrades are available.
    Instead I choose "Upgrade Product".  This will upgrade Plesk as well as upgrade the components as well.
    Once the upgrade completes, I get a confirmation.
  3. Then re-login to Plesk.  You will get T&C to agree.  Click on 'Agree' and if you wish mark 'Do not show again' as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment